Thursday, July 23, 2009

Amish update

Well, I have finished book 1 and 2 of this series, on the Amish. VERY GOOD BOOKS! I highly recommend these! I'm pretty sure they are non-fiction, but it's still interesting for me to learn their ways. The reasons for "believers" to get "shunned," etc. But it's in "storybook" form.
This book is based around an Amish girl in her early 20's who discovers that she is adopted, from a non-Amish heritage. I don't want to say too much about it, afraid I will give the story line away.
Something else interesting.....as I said before, we have Amish that live 4- 5 miles down the road from us. So yesterday, as I'm sitting in our little town's barbershop waiting for my son to get his hair cut, I pick up the local paper. And there is an ad in there for a local Bank and it has a pictures of it's employees. One of them being a young Amish lady with her kapp on. THAT was also VERY interesting to me. I wasn't aware that Amish women worked outside of the home?
In reading these books, I've also learned that the Amish ways and the Mennonite ways are similiar. They are like "cousins" in the religious family. Mennonite's are allowed to drive cars, have electricity, etc. I am not aware where they draw the line?
I plan on driving by the Amish homes soon and trying to get some pics of them. With the weather cooling down, I might be able to catch some of the outside, etc. And of course I will post them for all of you to see!
Yep....keeping on with my "Amish stalking" ways!

5 comments:

  1. you sound like a totally stalker! what if they call the police on you? oh ya - they don't have phones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man! I have to get that series. I would have never thought about the fact that I'd learn so many fun facts about the Amish!
    I really wanna go visit them. I know, I'd get kicked out big time, with my first slip of the tongue on the "f" bomb or something. Like, "Wow, you effin churn your own butter?!" and boom, I'm on my butt. Keep on keepin' on with the A.S. (amish stalking. :) )
    macey

    ReplyDelete
  3. How was your trip to San Antonio? Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like a seris i would enjoy reading...i will have to look for it when I am at the bookstore next week

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Amish lady!!! Hey, Amish girl. I have an award for you at my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete